Personal care products are not required to comply to the same stringent labelling standards that govern organic foods, so it’s easy for some companies to label their products ‘organic’.
But once you look at the ingredients, some ‘organic’ products are a far cry from being truly organic, healthy or environmentally friendly at all!
For example, water is the primary ingredient in many cosmetics, so some manufacturers use ‘organic aqueous infusions’ (just very watered down teas) to mislead customers into thinking they’re organic, while still using the same synthetic toxic ingredients that would NEVER be allowed in organic food products.
This greenwashing has the potential to destroy consumer confidence in organic products.
To give you confidence, all Miessence products undergo our internal quality control processes which are then all certified organic by international independent bodies.
Our products fall into one of three organic categories:
- Certified Organic (food grade)
- Certified Organic (cosmetic)
- Made With Certfied Organic Ingredients – Registered Products
The difference between these three categories is explained below:
Certified Organic Products
Miessence certified organic products contain more than 95% certified organic ingredients. The remaining small percentage (up to 5%) must be naturally produced plant or mineral products with strict processing criteria, (e.g. absolutely no GMOs or synthetic chemicals).
Products bearing the ACO logo (Australian Certified Organic) meet all of the requirements above. ACO is Australia’s largest certifier for organic and biodynamic produce and has over 1500 operators within its certification system.
Products bearing the ACO/IFOAM logo (International Federation of Organic Agriculture Movements) meet all of the requirements of ACO certification in addition to the standards set by IFOAM. IFOAM is the worldwide umbrella organisation for the organic movement, uniting more than 750 member organisations in 108 countries.
Products bearing the USDA logo (United States Department of Agriculture) meet all of the requirements of standards of the USDA National Organic Program (NOP). The USDA National Organic Program accredits private businesses, organisations, and state agencies to certify producers and handlers of agricultural products according to NOP regulations.
Certified Organic (Cosmetic) – Made with certified organic ingredients
Miessence organic cosmetic products contain more than 70% certified organic ingredients. The remaining percentage (up to 30%) must be naturally produced plant or mineral products with strict processing criteria, (e.g. absolutely no GMOs or synthetic chemicals) or products of green chemistry. These products bear the Organic Cosmetic xx% logo.
Miessence registered products are mineral-based products with a small percentage of organic ingredients. These are non-agricultural substances (e.g., clay, bicarb soda, minerals), that are subject to strict processing criteria (e.g. absolutely no GMOs or synthetic chemicals). These products otherwise are natural, conform to the general stipulations of the organic standards of the world and are deemed the “best in their class”.